Monday, November 19, 2012

Deny me hope- arm me with anger.


Van Gogh: The Olive Trees



Deny me hope: arm me with anger
Just another rocket coming down
Deny me safety: place me in danger
Just another war coming around.
Instead of rainbows colouring our blue skies
Rocket trails criss-cross our lines

You spell God YHWH: I spell God Allah
Your God is the same God as mine
You see through blue eyes: I see through brown eyes
You see the same world as I
But from our shelters, we see no sunshine
Without hope we're both just wasting time.

I have a rocket: you have an airplane
Is this land yours or is it mine?
You have a bulldozer: I have a landmine
there are some who'd love to see us die
You have Merkava: I have the Kornet
Without love your child's as dead as mine.

There is a sandstorm raging with these desert winds
threatening to smother all with sand
Where is the rain cloud to settle this sandstorm
bringing rain upon this thirsty land?
You bring the water, I'll plant the tall trees
Without hate we both could share their shade.


...............................................................................................................................................

The current conflict in the Middle East between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza territory is really concerning. Casualties mount on both sides while the threat of an Israeli ground invasion appears imminent. We can argue rights and wrongs of both sides but with a situation that has roots deep in history the future can only come from compromise and co-existence... if they can be found.

On my Facebook page two friends were firing verbal salvoes at each other on a post I had made about the conflict.
At the same time in my workshop Ray Wylie Hubbard was quietly crooning a song that has always fascinated me. He sings of conflicting elements bound together but ready to break if love cannot hold them together.
"You are a rainbow spread across the blue sky
the sunrise is your next of kin
I am am like a whirlwind roaring across the desert
the kind some hope to never see again
You are a rainbow, I am a whirlwind 
without love, we're both just wasting time."

While listening I began to write down the words above about the conflict.


I have no wish to plagiarise Ray Wylie Hubbards awesome words. He inspired the style and I have borrowed a line from him.
The way he weaves disparate elements together then makes the statement -"..without love, we're both just wasting time " seems to sum up the situation and his words need to be out there.
Without goodwill, hope or compromise where will this end?



Share/Bookmark

No comments: